I don't need to have a debate with you. I am just sharing what is possible. You do whatever you want to do.
This could work for you too:
1. You write a book about a topic that interests you.
2. You make money with said book (not much I agree).
3. People now perceive you as an expert in the field you have written about. This shows you are a "writer".
4. You can then get easier client work (freelance writing) and also charge more money. In different areas too.
5. You continue to write more books, get more clients, and make more money.
I agree it's a lot of work. No need for me to come out of "that fancy world" as I am talking from my own experience. And yes, I made a shit ton of money online already.
But it does not matter as I am not selling anything to you here. I am just sharing what is possible. You do what you want to do.