ChatGPT for Learning
How to use AI as a learning tool. Simplify topics and get an overview of everything…
I recently came across this video:
As skeptic as I was, I still clicked, watched, and learned.
So I came up with my own prompts to use ChatGPT as a learning tool.
Learning with ChatGPT
Explain [concept] in simple words
That’s an obvious one. You want ChatGPT to explain you something in simple words. But what if you had no idea where to start learning engineering? What would you ask then?
What are the most important concepts in engineering
It’s easy to get an overview of what might be important to learn. After you know what to learn, it becomes easy. Just look for youtube videos explaining the topic in detail.
Give examples of concepts important for engineering
This one’s a no-brainer. However, I also want to show you the output of this prompt and where to go further…
Mathematics and physics provide the fundamental principles and theories that engineers use to understand, design, and build complex systems. They form the backbone of the engineering discipline and are crucial for the development of new technologies and products.
Some examples of mathematical concepts that are important for engineering include:
- Calculus — Calculus is used to model and analyze the behavior of systems over time and to determine how they change in response to different inputs.
- Linear Algebra — Linear algebra is used to study and solve systems of linear equations, which are used to model many engineering systems.
- Differential Equations — Differential equations are used to model the behavior of systems that change over time, and to determine how they will respond to different inputs.
Some examples of important physics concepts for engineering include:
- Mechanics — Mechanics deals with the study of motion, forces, and energy, and is important for understanding the behavior of mechanical systems like machines, vehicles, and structures.
- Electromagnetism — Electromagnetism deals with the interaction between electric and magnetic fields, and is important for understanding and designing electrical and electronic systems.
- Thermodynamics — Thermodynamics deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work, and is important for understanding and designing systems that involve heat transfer and energy conversion, such as engines and power plants.
By having a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, engineers are better equipped to analyze complex systems, identify problems, and develop new solutions that address real-world challenges.
What comes next? Well, let’s look at the output in detail:
Mechanics — Mechanics deals with the study of motion, forces, and energy, and is important for understanding the behavior of mechanical systems like machines, vehicles, and structures.
You can now start to learn more about each concept like motion, forces, and energy, or just ask ChatGPT how learn more about Mechanics. This was the prompt:
How to learn more about Mechanics
How to Learn More About Mechanics
This is what ChatGPT wrote…
Mechanics is a fundamental branch of physics that deals with the study of motion, forces, and energy. To learn more about mechanics, you can follow these steps:
- Start with the basics: Familiarize yourself with the basic concepts of mechanics such as kinematics, dynamics, and thermodynamics. You can find introductory textbooks or online courses that cover these topics.
- Study mechanics textbooks: There are many textbooks that specialize in mechanics and its subfields. These can provide a comprehensive and detailed overview of the subject, including its historical background and mathematical foundations.
- Practice problem solving: Mechanics is a highly quantitative subject, so it is important to practice solving problems. You can find practice problems in textbooks or online, and work through them to improve your understanding and problem-solving skills.
- Engage in hands-on learning: Experimenting with physical systems can be a great way to learn about mechanics. You can conduct simple experiments, such as investigating the motion of objects under different conditions, to get a better understanding of the concepts.
- Join online communities: There are many online communities dedicated to mechanics and physics where you can ask questions, share resources, and connect with others who are interested in the subject.
- Attend workshops and courses: Attending workshops and courses offered by universities or professional organizations can provide you with a structured learning experience and the opportunity to learn from experts in the field.
Remember, learning about mechanics takes time and dedication, but the reward is a deep understanding of the fundamental principles of motion and energy, which are key to many branches of engineering and science.
Our take again!
It started well but then drifted off into more general advice. Ain’t no need for ChatGPT if it tells me I should read textbooks. However, the following was interesting:
Familiarize yourself with the basic concepts of mechanics such as kinematics, dynamics, and thermodynamics.
So I decided to ask further…
"Familiarize yourself with the basic concepts of mechanics such as kinematics,
dynamics, and thermodynamics."
- What other concepts? Give 30 or more of them. Why are they important?
Explain how they relate with each other. Bulletpoints.
That’s quite a prompt already… After giving me the output, I asked ChatGPT to rewrite it for me:
Rewrite the following way:
• Name of Concept
• Why it is important
• What other concept it is related to
I was quite happy with the result:
- Concept: Newton’s Laws of Motion
- Description: The three fundamental laws that describe the relationship between force and motion, forming the basis of classical mechanics.
- Importance: Used to analyze the motion of objects under different conditions.
- Related to: Work and Energy, Momentum, Gravitation.
The good, the Bad, and the Ugly…
- The Good: It can be used for learning. It gives a good overview. It explains concepts very simple.
- The Bad: It’s very limited in the output it gives.
- The Ugly: You might be amazed at what ChatGPT can do, spend hours of your time perfecting the prompts, but forgetting that — at some point — you need to sit down and learn. After all, you need more than simplifications of concepts.
You need to apply and study them in detail!
Do not forget that…
It’s is the same problem with reading articles on Medium.
They are too simple. You won’t learn much.